Monday, March 23, 2009

Taking more decisions...

More comments - thank you!

I'm from the midwest and we all make our decisions. I've never taken mine anywhere.

In Hollywood, one takes a meeting...to make decisions.

Because I now do considerable editing work, I am intrigued by the question you raise about "taking a decision." I did a tiny bit of Internet sleuthing and came up with three sets of comments that seem to conclude that "taking a decision" is a Britishism. Are a number of your English-speaking colleagues either British themselves or the products of having learned their English from British teachers? That might explain the use of "taking." I myself always use "make a decision," or, if the end result is generated by deliberation by a group, I think I would use "arrived at a decision."

No comments: