Thursday, February 21, 2008

Restaurant Theatre

Some days, I don’t have many chances to have great adventures. That's alright, because daily life here isn't so bad. At least an hour or two every day, we have what I call "Restaurant Theatre" with the wait staff. I even wrote a little script. We role-play; you're the waiter, he’s the customer. It can be pretty funny. Sometimes we snap our fingers and chant “What do you recommend?” It’s very musical. Some words are more challenging than others. For example, “Smoking section” has proven to be difficult to pronounce.

It’s refreshing to have motivated and enthusiastic students. It’s also rewarding to know that they have actually learned something and can apply it. The other night, French Mehmet (he speaks a little French. There are 8 Mehmets here. I get them all confused.) applied what he had learned while serving an American couple. He said "May I take your plate?" and “Would you like coffee or dessert?” I could have hugged him right there, but it wouldn't have been appropriate.

No comments: