Thursday, August 19, 2010

To market, to market


Monday is market day in Nevşehir. I will never tire of a good market, and this one isn't bad at all. The labyrnthine streets are lined with awning-protected tables. My favorite part is the fruit and vegetable section. It smells of sun-warmed peaches and strawberries. There are small mountains of eggplants at 1 Lire a kilo, piles of peppers, neatly-lined pears and plump figs, both purple and green.
Some of the venders grumble amongst themselves when I take pictures. "Tourists, foreigners.." I imagine they're remarking that it's as if I've never seen a vegetable before. Others, such as the man above, are more than happy to strike a pose.

Okra


Sweet peppers


Nice to look at, but I still can't eat them.




Many of the venders heap their produce on newspaper, or leave them in crates on the ground.


The cheese market
This market is not for those with a sensitive stomach, as the animal odors that waft from the cheese, especially on a hot day, are quite strong. The cheeses are kept in open basins, in jugs and plastic buckets, either placed directly on the blacktop or on plastic crates.


Tulumu peyniri in animal skins
Some of the cheeses are stored in animal skins. I don't know how expensive they are, but the flies, I assume, are free.


More cheese in an animal skin. I think it's a goat.


Cabbage on a side street

I am still struck by the size of the cabbages. They're wider than my backside. At the end of the street, you can buy a handle-less broom in any size.


Still Life with Cabbage
Once in a while, I'm really proud of a photo, but have to admit this was a complete accident.











2 comments:

Anne said...

Love the market...the sea of veggie clours! Thank you!

Proud Mamma said...

I'm digging the cheese in goat heads...