Saturday, June 6, 2009

Happiness: a definition

Recently, I became obsessed with buying a hammock, the kind with its own metal support. It’s easy to find those you can hang between trees, but you need trees sufficiently large and properly spaced to hang one. After several frustrating shopping trips, I found a rope hammock to my liking and a support for it. Unfortunately, one wasn’t made for the other. Thankfully, my housemate is more gifted than I at making do with what one has, and the hammock is now installed on the lower level of the small front garden, in a spot almost tailor made for it.

I like a good rope hammock, the kind that conforms itself to my form and the effects that gravity has on it, suspended, but not so low that my backside touches the ground and not so high that I have to do gymnastics to get myself in it. I like to lay almost still, hands behind my head, thinking of nothing and everything. For some reason, I can’t be anxious about the recent decisions I’ve made about my job, home, future… I look at my feet and am happy that I am still pleased with my tattoos. That’s a good thing because they’re going to be with me for a very long time. To my right, I can still see a sliver of the Bosphorus and between houses and trees, the moon as it rises. The plum tree sometimes drops a fruit. The neighbors’ dog might stop by for a short visit and a pat on the head, disappointed that there’s no game of fetch.

My happiness is marred by one thing. On the slope of the hill below the garden is one of the biggest fig trees I have ever seen. Countless figs are growing large and heavy on its many branches. Due to the steepness of the slope and the height of the tree branches, I will be able to reach very few of them; my definition of frustration.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

have you noticed how good the smell of a fig tree is? I used to go to in a field in the south of France where there were a lot of fig trees just to smell them. or maybe it was the smell of the sea, close to it.

Anne in Ardmore said...

I think you need one of those accordion-extension "grabbers" that are made for handicapped people and for storekeepers too cheap to buy a ladder.

Figs at the top of the tree are meant to be grabbed.

RMH said...

Sophie,
I used to stand under a fig tree in the south of France and eat sun-warmed figs until I was sick to my stomach. They do smell really good.
Anne,
I'm going to look for one of those grabbers. Hopefully, one will not be as difficult to find as my hammock was...